Sunday, May 13, 2012

Foreground Utility

I've stumbled upon a little imaging utility that I'm sure will come in handy someday. It allows you load an image into the software, set the opacity, and keep the window in focus and the slightly opaque image overlayed ontop everything on your screen. What's the purpose of this? The possibilities are endless, my zombie-loving brethren!

I can see particular benefits in 3D modeling packages that don't allow the user to easily import image planes for reference. It can come in handy in Maya or Zbrush also, where importing reference images are generally intended for orthographic views. If you have an image of a female with her head titled slightly, not parallel to the camera, you can rotate your model in the viewport to match the same angle as the image and work from there. Also, in any 2D imaging software, I assume it'll work nicely to fire up the program and give yourself a reference to trace over without needing to add additional layers. It's about the speed, man. And a lot of it, too.

Though I have no particular use for this at moment, I'm sure in the near future I'll be opening it up, loading some reference images, and thanking the author profusely for a timesaver.

You can grab it here: http://www.digitalartistguild.com/misc/UtilityExplain/UtilityExplain.html

But don't grab it too hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment